Adopters must be at least 18 years of age.
- A $25 deposit is required to put an animal on hold. Holds are valid for 24 hours and are not accepted over the phone or online.
- The hold deposit is non-refundable, non-transferable and cannot be transferred to another animal.
- Adopter and all family members must meet with the pet prior to adoption.
- Some identified adult dogs are required to attend and graduate from an MHS training class within three months of adoption. The additional fee for the course is due at the time of adoption.
- Dog-to-dog meet and greet introductions, led by our canine staff, are required for families wishing to add an additional canine companion to their home.
- If our team of professionals deem an introduction unsuccessful, families will be counseled and assisted in finding a more suitable dog. The hold deposit, if applicable, will be returned should a dog meet and greet be unsuccessful.
- Cats that are declawed are only adopted to homes that intend to keep them strictly as indoor pets. MHS does not condone declawing. We will counsel cat adopters about a variety of non-surgical methods to avoid potential damage a cat may cause with his/her claws.
- MHS reserves the right to approve, delay, or deny any potential adoption as we deem appropriate.
- Adoption fees are non-refundable. A check return fee of $30 will be charged.