You’ll have the opportunity to purchase supplies you need to settle your new pet into your home.
- Dry dog food.
- Two ceramic or stainless steel bowls - One for food, one for water. Some dogs are allergic to (and may chew on) plastic bowls.
- Quick-Snap or buckle collar - Not too big, not too small. Two fingers should fit between your dog's collar and neck. (Puppies will need several collars as they grow - check the sizing every week.)
- Leash(es) - Sturdy nylon or leather to keep your dog safely under control. You will need a short leash (4-6 feet) for walking and a long one for training and exercise (15-30 feet). If you already have dogs at home, make sure you have at least one leash for each of them.
- Chew toys - If you don't provide interesting and sturdy chew toys, your dog will find her own!
- Dog crates - Start your dog on the right path for house training and preventing destructive habits.
- Baby gate - For confining your dog until he/she is fully crate trained or house trained.
- Dog bed - Your dog will need a comfortable and warm bed to sleep on.
- Brush, comb and nail clippers - Every dog should be routinely brushed and nails maintained at an appropriate length.
- Enzyme Cleaner - To clean up those inevitable accidents during your dog's adjustment period we use and recommend Nature's Miracle.
- Dry and canned cat food
- Two ceramic or stainless steel bowls - One for food, one for water.
- Litter box - And a scoop for cleaning it!
- Cat litter - We use wood pellets. Young kittens should not use fine, scoopable litter as they sometimes inhale it.
- Brush, comb and nail clippers - For grooming.
- Cat bed - Your cat will need a soft, warm spot on which to sleep. We sell cat beds, but a soft piece of blanket or a pillow in a box works fine.
- Scratching post - To keep their claws groomed and stretch their arm, shoulder, and back muscles.
- Cat toys - Your cat needs to exercise. Toy mice, feather wands, crinkle balls provide a great outlet for fun and exercise. Your cat will enjoy playing with simple household items too!
- Quiet room - To help your cat adjust to her new home.
SMALL ANIMAL CHECKLIST
- Large cage or enclosure
- Fresh food daily
- Ceramic crock bowls (2)- Provide fresh pellets and water in ceramic crock bowls.
- Litter box
For your convenience, the Monadnock Humane Society provides most of these items to start out your new pet ownership right.