Interested in Volunteering?
- Volunteers need to be 14 +
- Volunteers need to be 18+ to work with the dogs
- We don’t accept court ordered community service
- MHS requires dedicated volunteers who can adhere to an agreed upon schedule and can commit to a few shifts/month
- Those interested in volunteering are encouraged to review the volunteer opportunities below and fill out an interest form for specific volunteer positions.
General Volunteer Guidelines
MHS has volunteer opportunities in all aspects of the shelter from taking care of our animals, to helping organize our events! All volunteers must complete the orientation process and animal safe handling training if needed for the volunteer role. All volunteers should have general knowledge of animal care and be able to work as part of a team as well as independently. They must be respectful of others and have good communication skills. Most volunteer roles require the ability to lift up to 50lbs and be able to stand/walk and bend/stretch for the majority of their shift.
Other Help Needed
Step one: If there is an opening that fits your schedule in an area of your interest please fill out our interest form.
Step two: You will be asked in for a short interview. The staff strategically match the volunteer to the open position. This is to be sure our volunteers feel successful and are being impactful in their role!
Step three: If selected for the role, you will take orientation and the appropriate trainings. If the role gets filled, and you are not selected, we encourage you to try again.
If you are already a volunteer, use the blue button below to access the volunteer website