PAWS to READ
Paws to Read is a smart way to have fun! Dogs love to spend time listening while children read. Children love to cuddle up with our friendly dogs, which makes reading to dogs the perfect way to help your child become a better reader.
Children are invited to Read to a Dog on the second Saturday of each month (except December) from 12:30-1:30 in the Therrien Community Room at Monadnock Humane Society’s Adoption and Learning Center.
- No reservation required.
- First Come-First Served.
- Children may bring their own book or select one of ours.
2nd Saturdays 12:30-1:30 p.m.
Upcoming 2020 dates: Due to Covid-19 Paws to Read is on hold. Please check back soon.
Our reading assistance dogs are all fully registered therapy dogs. That means they are healthy and clean pet dogs. They’ve been trained and tested. They volunteer with their owners to help readers improve their reading skills.
Paws to Read isn’t just for kids who don’t like reading. It’s a great way for any student to get their homework done—just bring your textbook and curl up with a dog. Our dogs also love it when students read their own writing to them.
For every child, success as a reader is fundamental to educational success. Reading to a dog is a proven method of helping children become better readers. The reasons it works are many:
- Some children feel reading becomes less difficult when reading to a dog.
- Children feel comfortable reading to dogs because dogs don’t judge if a word in mispronounced.
- Reading aloud to the dog makes often them more willing to read aloud at school.
- Reading to dogs has motivated children to start reading more at home – especially to their dogs.
- The process of petting dogs can help with motor skills and reduce stress.
Meeting our well behaved therapy dogs is great for people of all ages. Our readers range in age from babes-in-arms to senior citizens.
So, drop by and read to a dog! The dogs will be waiting for you.
Have further questions? Contact Kerri O'Brian, MHS Volunteer Coordinator at email@example.com or (603) 352-9011 ext 147